Business Process Management is both a business and a technology concept depending upon the perspective and roles we perform in an organization.
In this post, I want to target the operational and technical aspects of what constitutes within the realm of BPM.
Operationally speaking Business Process Management is all about achieving efficiency and efficacy for the organization. (Best Practice Note : All process related activities from operational level should be aligned to the value increase for the end customer for maximum results). In Operational terms typically BPM will start with :
- Business Process Discovery and Analysis : This phase would be all about identifying and envisioning the right process to focus for BPM. Organizations should consider performing Business Process Transformation exercises through series of improvement cycles (use of Lean,Six Sigma to be considered) to achieve the target process map. Having said that its always essential to realize that the aim of BPM is to allow flexibility in incorporating process changes and organizations should avoid the “Paralysis by analysis” pitfall. Common activities to consider in BPA stage for readers understanding can be :
- Business Process Discovery workshops
- Business Process Modelling and setting up Key Process Indicators
- Business Process Analysis using static analysis (gap analysis metrics, process traceability analysis etc.) and dynamic analysis (simulation using discrete events etc.)
- Business Process Communication/Publishing : Publish the target process maps for the stakeholders Continue reading ‘BPM – Closing the loop’